Monday, September 22, 2008

THANKFUL FOR THE TIME WE HAD!

Uncle Harry passed today. It's hard to post through tears. However since I usually write about happy times I feel that the kids have learned their first real lesson on death and dying. Sure they lost pets but it wasn't the same as losing a loved one that they actually spent time with. As short as that time may have been.
When I found out I was at home with the kids and of course they could see I was upset and crying. Dewey was at work so I sat them down to have the talk. They cried and I cried and then we cried some more.
Logan told me his heart hurt and I agreed saying mine did as well. Then he told me he bet no one's heart hurt more then Uncle Larry's and we all cried some more. Hard to believe my 10 year old understood that but he did. Logan is all heart in that matter.
I was upset that we could not attend the funeral but I'm very grateful for the time we all had with Uncle Harry. The kids also know what a blessing we had in the short time we spent with him over the last few weeks.
I wanted to post one of my favorite poems... its one that gives me peace with death.

Don't grieve for me, for now I'm free,
I'm following the path God laid for me.
I took his hand when I heard his call,
I turned my back and left it all.

I could not stay another day,
To laugh, to love, to work, to play.
Tasks left undone must stay that way,
I've found that peace at the end of the day.

If my parting has left a void,
Then fill it with remembered joy.
A friendship shared, a laugh, a kiss,
Ah, yes, these things too I will miss.

Be not burdened with times of sorrow,
I wish you the sunshine of tomorrow.
My Life's been full, I savoured much,
Good friends, good times, a loved one' touch.

Perhaps my time seemed all too brief,
Don't lengthen it now with undue grief.
Lift up your heart and share with me,
God wanted me now, He set me free.

Author: Unknown


I know without a doubt my uncle was at peace with God and he accepted his fate and bowed out as graciously as any person I know facing death. I also know he is watching over us and that he is ok . I'm also grateful he did not suffer with this nasty illness. We all loved him and will cherish his memory forever.

No comments: